April 16, 2013

My Visit to Fulton Middle School


Greetings!

Thanks for stopping by to read and check out a few pictures.

I hope all is well with you. Me? I’m STEADY!

On 15 April 2013, I drove to Middleton, Michigan to conduct an Author Visit for students, and provide professional development for staff members at Fulton Middle School.  My plan entailed talking to 3 seventh grade classes and 3 eighth grade classes about my writing experience and motivating “reluctant readers” by giving students strategies to help them find books that could be interesting.  Then, I was to sit with staff members and share strategies to motivate students to read and write.

One might think that sharing the same story with six classes would get redundant.

No!

Each class had their own form of energy that allowed me interact with them in the current moment, while sharing events that happened in my past.  So, each session was unique to the group of people in the classroom, and we all left feeling like something magical had happened during our interaction.  Good times!

The professional development portion allowed me to share some elements of reading and writing that I have learned while in the classroom and through writing books. More importantly, the staff was able to identify students who could take on a leadership role to aid in implementing the elements in a classroom.

Here are some pictures:




I’d like to take the time to thank all of the students and staff members who made my visit to Fulton Middle School so fantastic. 

Lastly, I want to take the time to acknowledge a particular student who was very honest about his reluctance to read. (Students like him are the main reason why I wrote Wrinkles Wallace: Knights of Night School.)  I realize it takes great courage to be willing to share that information with others. In addition, it takes tremendous courage (and interesting books) to overcome reluctance.  So, if you have a moment, please utilize the comments section below to encourage “Z” to read and finish his signed copy of Wrinkles Wallace: Knights of Night School.

Thanks again for stopping by and reading this blog!

Steady,
Marquin

PS Bonus Chapter coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment