February 16, 2014

Cornerstone School Keynote Speech

Greetings!  

Welcome back!  I hope all is well with you. 

Me? I'm steady.

On 11 February 14, I had an opportunity to be the keynote speaker at a literacy event held at Cornerstone Schools. The theme for the event involved using books to build bridges to literacy.  For years, I have used books to build bridges to literacy.  Indeed, part of my responsibilities as a teacher are to find ways to promote and encourage literacy to youth.  When I started writing Wrinkles Wallace: Knights of Night School, I allowed myself to begin building a different type of bridge that could go beyond my own classroom. 

After giving my speech, I traveled to the school library, where Books-a-Million had a huge box filled with books that were donated to the students.  It was exciting to see the faces of the well-dress students who were able to look at titles that would now be in their library.

As I continue on this journey as an author, I am constantly thankful for bridges to literacy that I encounter.


Cornerstone Schools

Delivering my keynote speech.


 Laughing with the awesome audience.

Watching as the books were donated to the school.

Thank you to the Alpha Alpha Beta Sigma Alumni Chapter for the invitation, and Dr. King for the incredible introduction.

Steady,
Marquin Parks

1 comment:

  1. Appreciate your sharing, great article post. Really looking forward to reading more from this blog.

    Best Dermatologist in Madurai

    ReplyDelete