July 14, 2013

Inkstains Author Visit 2013

Greetings!   

Thanks for stopping by. I hope all is well with you.   

Me?  I'm STEADY!

On 09 July 13, I had the privilege of doing an author visit with the middle school students of the Inkstains writing camp, held at Eastern Michigan University. The visit was my second opportunity to come and share my experience as a writer with the Inkstains writers.     

When I arrived in the circular room, it was instantly time to get things going. I was prepared to share the story of how Wrinkles Wallace came to life, and do a writing exercise on how to judge a book by its cover. That was until one of the writers attended last year's presentation, and I did not want her to have to hear a similar story again. So, I utilized Plan B, and went in depth with my process for noticing and negotiating to inspire my writing.  And, we had a great time.   

After a brief explanation and a few questions, the writers shared odd situations they had noticed in public.  Noticing a person purchasing fifty pounds of green beans, a tumbling act that included imaginary arrows, and a man browsing in the maternity section was enough to get our pens to negotiate what we saw in our minds and place it on paper.  I was quite impressed with what the young writiers were able to come up with in such a short amount of time.   

Once our writing activity was over, I shared a bonus chapter from Wrinkles Wallace: Knights of Night School to make the connection between how we can notice small things in life or books and turn them into something larger.  Then, I answered some interesting questions before my time was up.   

Special thanks to the Inkstains campers and staff for having me.  Also, thank you for reading.   

Steady, 
Marquin


Summer Author Visit wardrobe and accessory.

2 comments:

  1. Marquin,

    You've got my attention! I'm going to check out this series. I give you a lot of credit for writing a book series, sharing to kids and now starting a blog. You clearly are invested in kids and a dedicated writing teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, I am extremely passionate about writing, promoting literacy, and sharing with youth. I enjoy talking with them, encouraging, and supplying strategies that have worked for me. This blog has been a great way to share with a larger audience, while showing appreciation for what embracing my talents had done for my life and others.

      Please check out book one and the bonus chapters. If there is any way we can work together to promote lliteracy, please let me know.

      Steady,
      Marquin

      Delete