April 2, 2013

EMU Children's Lit. Author Visit

Greetings!

Thanks for stopping by to do some quick reading. I appreciate it. I hope all is well. Me? I'm steady!

After marching through an amazing March, I was happy to start April off with a visit. On 01 April 13, I did an Author Visit to a Children's Literature class at Eastern Michigan University. 

Students studying children's literature are dissecting books, authors, themes, genres, etc. Not to mention, since they're paying tuition to attend the class, as a guest, I feel like I better be worth it.  Needless to say, going into a classroom with college students can be quite a challenge. For me, it was FUN and we laughed a lot.

After a brief introduction, it was time to get started with sharing the story of my road to publishing Wrinkles Wallace: Knights of Night School. I gave some behind the scenes information on the emotional side of writing, waiting on the results of a contest to get my book published, finding the right people to help you edit/publish your book, and a variety of other topics.  For me, the coolest moment was when a little kid (who accompanied an adult to the class) told me that he enjoyed the part of the book that I read to the entire class. Clearly he was raised right!

It is always great to go back to EMU.  I often reflect on my struggles in undergrad, the experience of earning my Master's degree there, and the Eastern Michigan Writing Project.  I never would have thought that I would be leading a class filled with college students, but writing has taken me to places that I never thought I would go. 

Here are some pictures of the visit:

 They're laughing! Cool, because I'd hate to bore them.
The class photographer was excellent!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment below.

Steady,
Marquin

PS Another BONUS CHAPTER is COMING SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment