February 17, 2013

Writing for Others


Well hello there!  Welcome back!

I hope all is well. Me? I'm STEADY!

Writing for my own blog is a personal experience. I do it to be reflective. I also write this blog for others because it allows me to share what can happen in the world of a children’s book author. I want visitors of this blog to see how I wrote a book in 25 days. I want visitors to be able see the behind the scenes events of the various experiences I have been able to have because of pursuing my dreams as a writer.  I want readers of Wrinkles Wallace: Knights of Night School to have bonus chapters to hold them over until Wrinkles Wallace: Fighters of Foreclosure is released (more on that later… ).  And, if you know me, you know I just want to write.

Over the last three months I have been asked/invited to write for the blogs/websites of others. Some of that writing has already been published, and others are still works in progress.  So, I want to make sure that I share what has already been completed with those of you who are not with me on Facebook and/or Twitter.  

In October of 2012, I met Dr. Joy Lawson Davis through Twitter. We immediately realized we needed to find ways to work together. In November of 2012, Dr. Joy's blog, We Are Gifted 2, featured A Writer’s Life.  I utilized that piece to serve as a glimpse into some of the things I have gone through as a writer.  It starts with a reflection by Dr. Joy:

…For this post, I wanted to take our discussion deeper into the actual life of a contemporary African American writer. I came across this young man a month or so ago, checked out his blog and thought he'd be a great one to talk about 'his life as a writer'. His children's chapter books are catching on like wildfire across the country and his career is just picking up speed. I anticipate that we will hear more from him in years to come. Marquin is what many may call a 'late bloomer'...early or late- I believe that his story is of interest as we continue to encourage and nurture the gifts of all young people around the world.

My piece included a poem on my life as a writer.  I followed the poem up with an explanation of two important factors that help me in my writing process.  Click on the link below to check it out:


I met Jason Flom back in September of 2012, at the Bammy Awards in Washington D.C.  In December of 2012, I wrote an article for Jason’s ecologyofeducation.net website called, Pulling the 10 of Hearts.  The article summarized the 6 African American male teachers I had throughout my educational career. I also asked myself questions about the impact I have had on the students I have served in my teaching career.  Click on the link below to check it out:


Eleven days after The Pulling the 10 of Hearts article was published, the second article I wrote for Jason came to life. A chance encounter and conversation with a former student gave me the Teddy Bears Can Be Action Figures article that was published in January of 2013. The article was an unexpected continuation that answered an important question I asked myself in the first article.
Click on the link below to check it out:


I appreciate these opportunities to offer my perspective and share who/where I am as a writer and educator. 

Thanks for all the support!

Steady,
Marquin

PS Oh, and about the status of publishing for Wrinkles Wallace: Fighters of Foreclosure… Stay Tuned…!

No comments:

Post a Comment