August 3, 2012

Bright Futures, Summer Camp, & The Today Show

Greetings! 

I can't thank you enough for visiting.  I hope all is well. Me, I'm STEADY.

On 24 July 12, I was invited to Eastern Michigan University's Bright Futures program to speak to youth.  I was given an hour and a half to talk about making a healthy community.  Now if you know me, you know that my build is closer to teddy bear than it is action figure.  My journey to healthy eating still has the training wheels on my smoothie glasses.  So, in order to make the connection with my listeners, I talked about having a healthy mind. I told my story about writing for Wrinkles and encouraged them to find their talents/gifts and utilize them to live out their dreams.  Spending time with the youth in the room was great. We laughed and learned from each other.

On 26 July 12, I was invited to speak at the Washtenaw Family Court Summer Camp. I spoke about my book and encouraged a gymnasium filled with youth to read over the summer. Those kids had an amazing amount of energy, but they were really listening to what I had to say. Some of them even asked me to help them come up with ideas for stories they wanted to write.  After stressing they pay close attention to funny things they see around them, they were ready to begin writing their very own stories.

Well, that's about it for last week... Oh, that's right... The Today Show!

So, a co-worker of mine was traveling to New York and one of her activities was to go to the Today Show.  So, when she told me that she wanted to give Wrinkles Wallace: Knights of Night School to someone on the Today Show, I was beyond excited and eager to see how she would pull it off.  So, when I had the mini-signing at Next Chapter in Northville, one of those books was to be taken to NY to be given to someone on the Today Show.

Here is the story in Michelle's words:

We arrived at the outdoor Today Show audience area (the plaza) at 6:20. We had to wait in line for 10 minutes to be allowed into the area. Lenny was already in "his spot". They let him in before everybody else. Lenny has been coming to the Today Show EVERY day for 21 years. We stood as close to him as we could since when they come to film outside at 8:00 they stand right on front of him. Everyone on the set knows Lenny and vice versa. ...

When the 8 o'clock hour rolled around, Al Roker and Savannah Guthrie came strolling out onto the plaza. As Al approached his position in front of us, I held out the book. He graciously took it as I explained how a friend of mine, also a teacher, wrote this book specifically for boys the same age as his son. He thanked me as I wished him 'Happy reading'.

Here is a picture of Michelle with Lenny holding Wrinkles Wallace: Knights of Night School:


Here is a picture of Al Roker before Michelle gave him Wrinkles Wallace: Knights of Night School:

Thanks you to Michelle and all those who have taken my book to places I never would have thought possible.  Because of you, WWKNS has been in around America and out of the country. 

I appreciate you all for the support and willingness to share this book with others.  Please continue to do so (and take pictures).

Thanks for reading!

Steady,
Marquin

PS  If you're on twitter, please encourage @alroker to read my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment