February 24, 2013

Loving Elementary Career Day Visit

Greetings!

I hope all is well with you. Things are steady with me.

On 19 February 2013, Loving Elementary invited me to speak at their Career Day. I was asked to talk about being an author and teacher. In addition, they wanted me to share my story about how I made it to where I am.

Upon entering the school, I walked past the chair-filled auditorium. I would be sharing my message in there.


I continued to the office and met staff members from the school. They were very friendly and happy to have me there. I had the chance to visit with an old friend in the art room who was helping Kindergartners make Day of the Dead pictures.  Good times!

After the visit, I went to the auditorium to take everything in. While I am usually really calm, I like to get comfortable with the room. I wanted to see if I needed a microphone, or if my voice would be loud enough for me to walk around without one.. I imagined kids in each seat and I thought about what it would take to entertain and educate them at the same time.

(Putting my flag on the podium)

Within a few minutes, it was time for students to get called down to the auditorium. I stood outside and watched youth pour into the seats and then waited for my introduction.  Yes, hearing the introduction is always fun.

Then it was my turn. I talked about my past. I cracked impromptu jokes. I worked the room and sat next to kids in the audience while telling stories. We laughed together. They listened to me read an excerpt from Wrinkles Wallace: Knights of Night School. They asked QUESTIONS!  

In the end, I could feel the positive exchange of energy in the room. Youth and staff members were smiling and happy. I was happy.  


Visiting schools to motivate students is always a wonderful experience. Being able to share literacy and a passion for accomplishing goals is a message I believe more students need to hear. I am thankful for opportunity.

Thanks for stopping by.  

Steady,
Marquin

No comments:

Post a Comment